Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Straight as General Pace's Army


From Ely, we've taken Route 50, the so-called loneliest highway in the US. It is nearly 100 miles between towns and there are few gas stations. Cars are rare enough that we wave to each other as we pass.

I'm working, and Nicole's driving. But it's hurting our relationship. In many places, the road only curves slightly every 50 miles or so. Not surprisingly, it's putting her to sleep. So whenever she starts snoring too loudly, I give her a gentle shove. I know it's boring, but she could be a little more considerate. After all, I'm trying to work.

4 comments:

Kay said...

I dedicated three whole days of my life to the mountains west of that highway in the ancient carbonate formations you so blithely call nothing and nowhere. It poured down rain and flooded the Nevada desert, almost ending my short-lived (til that point) college career. I remember waking up to an inch of water in my tent with no restrooms nearby. After a 1/2 mile hike to relieve myself, I could absolutely not believe I was actually paying for this experience. That morning we hiked over slippery limestone and were lectured to by our lunatic professor in the rain, who promised that 'if it was still raining by lunchtime we would go home.' Lying bitch. We had lunch at 2:30 when the sun came out. On the bright side, around the corner to the next campsite was a cool mud mound with awesome fossils. I hope your travels continue to find the bright side!

Leftover Grub said...

Thanks for the great comment. The carbonite formations she speaks of are actually a welcome respite from the road. They look like serried strips of granite to a layman, a hundred or so feet high. They are both desolate and beautiful. Of course, I didn't have to stop and clamber over them.

Kay said...

You drove through an ancient deep-water sea where millions of microscopic organsisms drifted to the seafloor to create the rocks you saw...ironically it's as quiet today as it was 2000 MYA..

Leftover Grub said...

Kay also politely informed me that the proper term is "carbonate." I'd misspelled it....