Saturday, June 2, 2007

A note about truth

About 35 minutes from my home town, there is a small canyon, lined with eroded walls, deep red sandstone, and such a generally Martian aspect that it has substituted for the Red Planet in a number of bad Hollywood movies. Its name is Red Rock Canyon.

The canyon is picturesque and somewhat out of the way. As a result, when western travel magazines run out of donkey festivals, chili cookoffs, and second-rate rodeos to write about, they send their reporters out to Red Rock Canyon. The reporters, quite sensibly, don't bother to go.

How do I know this? Because somewhere in every article they write, there is an passage that goes something like the following:

"Next to my boot, about a foot away, coiled and ready to strike, was a small sidewinder rattlesnake. Should I have been worried? Cautiously, I stepped back and said to myself that I'd have to be more careful. This was the Mojave Desert after all."

First point. If you ever find yourself within one foot of a small sidewinder rattlesnake, you should be worried. The bites are horrifically painful. The idea that so many reporters could have come away unharmed from so many close encounters with these snakes is a stretch. An article in that case would have sounded like this.

"Next to my boot, about a foot away, coiled and ready to strike, was a small sidewinder rattlesnake. It struck. My foot turned black and swelled up like a basketball. I nearly passed out from the pain and began to hallucinate. Luckily a ranger found me convulsed on the ground and foaming at the mouth. He administered some antivenom. I lived, but I now have no feeling in my ankle and I walk with a cane. I should have been more careful. This was the Mojave Desert after all."

Second point. I have been to Red Rock Canyon 40 times, hiked around plenty, and have never seen a rattlesnake. There are plenty of places to see them; that particular park is not one of them. It's too public, and they're too shy.

So what really happened? The reporters, on their way north, presumably noticed that if you take a right instead of a left at Kramer Junction, they could go to Las Vegas instead of Red Rock Canyon. Once there, while closely watching their investment in a certain horse in the sixth race, they may have popped on the Internet and downloaded a few stories about the canyon. Those stories all contain a fictional account of an encounter with a snake, and all for the same reason.

It's not their fault. Trips are actually long monotonous things interspersed with a few sights. Nothing ever happens on them. To make a story about one any good, the teller must depart from the truth considerably. So, as this trip progresses, if I happen to mention in passing that we took a shower under Old Faithful or fought off a rabid raccoon with a cast iron frying pan, don't take offense.

4 comments:

TheoWorlds.com said...

I thought your trip starts on Sunday. Or that was just a side note?.. BTW, geysers really stink. You wouldn't be able to take a shower (besides the fact that they can be very hot). But all those yellow shades of sulfur look pretty cool on the pictures. If you want to mention the smell while commenting the pictures - it's your choice :-).

Leftover Grub said...

Actually, a case of the flu pushed us back to Monday. We've heard quite a bit about the smell of the geysers and have been looking forward to it for a while.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://yxudehumom.kogaryu.com/izofiv.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://oheqapafe.kogaryu.com/zysafy.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money